[elvin-discuss] Hello All

William R. Hazlewood whazlewo at indiana.edu
Fri Oct 12 10:34:49 CDT 2007

I must say, if Mantara is going to be stingy, I'm awfully glad this new
community is starting. I hope we can grow it somehow.  I assume that
since most have gone through the trials and tribulations of developing
an Elvin protocol implementation already, the second iteration will just
be that much better. I'll do my best to promote the technology, it's
taken weeks and weeks off my project implementations in the past by
letting me get several systems talking to one another.

Of course I'd be willing to offer any feedback or assistance I can. I've
written one tiny API, but thats just because I discovered PERL's InLine
module, so it really just looked like an API :-).

At our university we are building a "Living Lab" out of a small house on
campus.  The house will be heavily outfitted with different sensors. My
plan was to just write an app that had each sensor as a producer on an
elven server, and this would allow any students to have access to the
sensor information.  I wanted to do things in C# but I'll be just as
happy in Java. I'll get this all set up with one of the other elvin
implementations, and see if i can report on some of the going's on. I'd
be happy to supply any sort of debugging info you need as well.

Feeling Grateful,

Richie