[elvin-discuss] Hello All

Matthew Phillips matt at mattp.name
Thu Oct 11 18:24:12 CDT 2007

Hi Richie,

I work for the Australian Department of Defence, and we too are quite
fond of Elvin. I'll let the Mantara guys fill you in on what's going
on with the company (I'd be interested in an update myself actually),
but we are in the process of migrating from Mantara Elvin to Avis
(http://avis.sourceforge.net). I developed Avis in response to the
retirement of Elvin as a product and the perceived low probability
that the new Mantara management would allow Elvin to be open sourced.

Most of our projects build on the Java platform, so I've also
developed a Java client API, and one of our partners (CSIRO) is in
the process of developing a C++ API which will also be part of the
Avis project.

In terms of performance and reliability, all I can say is it's good
enough for our needs and, since it's also being used by several of
our partners, I can be fairly confident it will be a long-term option
given the commitment we have to it.

Cheers,

Matthew.