[elvin-discuss] Some mention of Elvin and Avis in the blogosphere

Matthew Phillips matt at mattp.name
Sat Jul 7 20:44:39 CDT 2007

Via my Google-filter: Planet Smalltalk, Sunday July 7:

[Apologies if HTML email offends, but they don't seem to believe in

"""
Ian Cartwright has a post on rest, in particular http, not being the
answer to all your problems. He touches on some alternatives (no, not
WS-*!), but another post from April is interesting along the same
lines: he wonders about reviving multicast on the internet, not just
on a subnet.

Which led to an interesting comment by Nat Pryce, that there are
various internet multicast protocols, but anyway here's the
interesting bits with some links included...

Also, it turns out that it is easier to implement internet scale
publish/subscribe event dissemination using an overlay network of
reliable unicast links between routers and only use link-level
multicast for the last hop, if at all. Have a look at Elvin, Avis and
Siena, for example.
Update: Good comments, and Nat provided the Avis link.
"""

Also, connected to that little micro-web was an interesting
discussion on doing the Observer pattern in REST.

Matt.