[elvin-discuss] Re: Elvin spec

David Arnold davida at pobox.com
Wed Jan 10 18:10:36 CST 2007

-->"Matt" == Matthew Phillips <matt at mattp.name> writes:

  Matt> Yep. I've made up an error code for now that je4 seems to handle
  Matt> OK, which at least allows Sticker's setup wizard to work (it
  Matt> uses quench to guess what presence groups are active). But that
  Matt> this works is obviously more by luck than by design. And I don't
  Matt> know how the other client libraries will deal with it either...

  >> what code did you use, out of interest?

  Matt> Top of the quench error range: 2299. Makes sure it looks bogus
  Matt> but still handled semi-intelligently by clients (je4 reports
  Matt> unknown error but seems to get the idea that it's not on the
  Matt> client side).

see je4/src/org/elvin/je4/ConnectionRequests.java, handleNack() for the
code which handles errors.

i'd prefer to see it in the general request errors area, since it could
reasonably be returned by a router that doesn't support subscription, or
QoS modification, or other things in future too.

i think 2007 is the next free error code, so i'm proposing we use that.

  >> no existing client library (with the possible exception of libelvin
  >> 4.4.x) would understand that advertisement of the feature set
  >> anyway ...

  Matt> OK. The (non-existent) Avis Java client library won't have
  Matt> quench either in the first release, so I guess knowing whether
  Matt> the router supports it is interesting but academic.

  Matt> So, if we can get a NOT_IMPL error code spec'd, that's all I
  Matt> need.

anyone about to using 2007 for this purpose?