[elvin-discuss] Re: Elvin spec

Ian Lister ilister at mantara.com
Wed Jan 10 17:20:30 CST 2007

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007, Matthew Phillips wrote:
> On 08/01/2007, at 4:31 PM, Ian Lister wrote:
>> If the lack of support is local (e.g. your client library implementation
>> doesn't support quench) there's no request at all.
>
> OK. But I would have thought the client library would have better ways of
> reporting (fixed) lack of support for a feature.

Reporting an error when you try to use unsupported API seems to be a
sensible way to do it. There's a defined error code for this, which is
NOT_SUPPORTED.

There's also a defined error code for the case where the router you are
connected to doesn't support something you're trying to do, which is
NO_ROUTER_SUPPORT.

>> Yes, Bonjour consists of IPv4LL (addressing), mDNS (naming) and DNS-SD
>> (discovery). ERDP is the existing Elvin Router Discovery Protocol.
>
> Sounds like what I want then ;) Is ERDP something that should/would be opened
> up?

It is. It's listed at <http://www.elvin.org/specs/> but the link is
broken. I'll see what we can do about that.

Cheers,

Ian