[elvin-discuss] Re: Elvin spec

Matthew Phillips matt at mattp.name
Thu Dec 21 18:00:59 CST 2006

On 22/12/2006, at 7:38 AM, David Arnold wrote:

> -->"Matt" == Matthew Phillips <matt at mattp.name> writes:
> So, while I like both of
>
>   Matt>    TCP.Queue-Packets TCP.Coalesce-Packets
>
> too, I think I prefer
>
>>> TCP.Send-Packets-Immediately
>
> because it's something you can turn _on_.

It is marginally nicer I'd agree. But since all the options will be
specified in the template config file (or GUI), I'd say that
understandability would be the primary aim.

But I can live with TCP.Send-Packets-Immediately quite happily.

> Anyone else want to step in before this is finalised?
>
>   Matt> I'm planning to allow defaults for all of the connection
> options
>   Matt> to be set in the Avis config file. e.g. "Receive-Queue.Drop-
>   Matt> Policy=fail". I'm also going to make the matching
>   Matt> case-independent.  Sound like a sane thing to do?
>
> I think that's sane.
>
> It's also, handily, Java's default properties file semantics, isn't
> it?  :-)

You seem to have seen right through to my pragmatic core ;)
Unfortunately however, Java's property system is case-sensitive. I'm
using the built-in properties file parser, but I needed to add case-
independent matching myself.

Cheers,

Matt.